Traveller’s Tales

The travel to Hong Kong started very well indeed, with the Shuttle van exactly on time and a good trip to the airport. Wandering inside the terminal I was surprised to see a line of people at the Cathay Pacific check-in with the queue snaking out towards the door. Fortunately I had completed an online check-in and had my boarding pass, so after checking with the attendant, I was sent over to business class to complete the check-in process.

I was feeling very complacent as I wandered in to the boarding area. As a new Marco Polo customer I was able to go through without queuing up with people that don’t know how to queue… After I had gone through the boarding rigmarole, I was halfway down the corridor to the plane when I was called back – along with everybody else that had come through. They had to pause boarding and then shortly after had to DE-board us, as there was a technical problem on the plane and they had to wait for the OK from Hong Kong before they could start the repairs.

So I retreated to the One World Lounge  – which I had not had time to investigate earlier. It is very civilised in there. There is free food and drink – water, tea, coffee, juice, alcohol etc, the seats are comfortable. It is (mostly) peaceful. At the end of our first hour of waiting – juice and a chocolate cookie, the attendant came to give us the news of our plane just before it was announced, so we tucked into more of a meal this time – with a nice glass of wine. We were also warned just before the announcement came over the system that boarding was about to begin. So I walked along again to the boarding counter and wandered on to the plane for the journey here.

I have stopped feeling guilty now when I receive my meal early (because I ask for a low-fat meal when I make the reservation). A nice glass of wine and a film later, I was ready to sleep – which I managed to do in small doses for much of the journey. Towards the end of the journey, I found some Bach and Mozart to play on the audio system and arrived feeling relatively fresh – given that we arrived at 11:00pm (the equivalent of NZ 4:00am the next morning). A quick trip by airport express and taxi to the hotel, so I was able to arrive and fall onto bed before 1:00. Not too bad!

Exif_JPEG_PICTURE                                              Exif_JPEG_PICTURE

Next morning I woke to the view above out my hotel window. A clear day in Hong Kong  LOL – still a temperature of 27 though. The weekend was spent in a relatively small area of Causeway  Bay – lots of shops of course and interesting food – and  walking around Victoria Park. The bushes in the photo below are actually sitting in pots – I found it quite extraordinary that there was a lot of mass “planting” with the plants sitting in pots, but “landscaped” above ground. Lots of people were using the park, with children’s activities and an exercise group.

Exif_JPEG_PICTURE                                              Exif_JPEG_PICTURE

Here also is a Church which I noticed from my breakfast restaurant. really interesting to see a Christian church which still likes like a temple from another religious denomination.


So if you are reading this, welcome to my traveller’s tales. I hope to see you again soon!  🙂

About David Adlam

I am a conductor, composer, clarinettist and examiner for Trinity Guildhall working in Auckland, New Zealand and overseas
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s